I recently got into portobello mushrooms and oh, how I love them. We’re quickly becoming bff’s. (Also, can we just talk for a moment about how it boggles my mind that there’s not set spelling for this mushroom?? Portobello and Portabella are apparently both accepted spellings.)
If I’m not chowing down on these with corn tortillas, I’ll eat this yummy dish on a big bowl of greens. Don’t forget to add avocado (always add avocado) and a squeeze of lime juice. (Like, I won’t judge if you don’t… I’ll just question.)
Now, the amount of peppers and onion is entirely up to you so feel free to add or subtract. This is a simpler version inspired by Making Thyme for My Health and Oh My Veggies. Here’s what I’ve been doing lately:
- 2-3 portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1-2 tsp. oil
- seasoning of choice (I like salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, paprika, and some red pepper flakes)
- Heat your skillet with some oil on medium-high heat.
- Slice your onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms.
- When the skillet is warm, toss in your onion, bell pepper, and some seasonings to let them cook for a few minutes.
- Then, toss in the mushrooms (and some more seasoning if you prefer) and stir it all together. Let your yummy veggies cook for up to 10 minutes.
Serve on tortillas of choice or lettuce for wraps, rice, or a bed of greens. You can top with avocado, cilantro, or whatever else your heart desires. Enjoy!